Designation: Café Project Manager
Responsible to: Board of Trustees, CEO, and Administration Manager
Weekly hours: 40 hours
Salary: Basic £28,000.00. Up to £32,000.00 with retention bonus and result based rewards
Location: Based mainly in London SW2, with ability for remote/ flexible working when suitable
About the Project
HIVE Café is a charity project aimed at supporting young adults with learning disabilities and/or Autism to gain skills in the hospitality industry and hopefully move into paid employment.
Main Purpose of the Role
The successful development of the Café will mainly depend on the imagination, initiative and energy of the manager. A combination of flexibility, enthusiasm, innovation and sound organisational skills is essential.
The role falls into to two key specific responsibilities:
- Day to Day Operation of the Café
- To manage the cafe and the Community Space, remaining consistent with its community ethos.
- To provide effective management, support and development to the staff, volunteers and trainees within the project.
- To expand the existing customer base to all sections of the local community, maximising income from the café and the community space.
- To provide healthy and cost effective meals to the onsite Day Centre.
- Project development
- Working closely with the Project Development Team, to drive the café into a sustainable and viable community asset.
- To develop the cafe training programme and maintain effective working relationship with stakeholders, to ensure maximum take-up of employment opportunities.
Summary of Responsibilities and Personal Duties:
- To provide effective line management and support to the Hive team, and seek advice and support from the CEO and Charity Administrator where required.
- To maintain good relationships with customers and suppliers.
- To train and manage café staff, trainees and volunteers.
- To work in partnership with training providers to develop and manage trainee roles, support and outcomes.
- To ensure that the Hive team are integrated within the wider Rathbone community.
Business Operation, Management and Administration
- To manage all aspects of the daily running of the Café including; menu development, food preparation, and a safe working environment.
- In liaison with the Finance Manager, contribute to the provision of budgets, reports and finance records.
- To learn all aspects of the EPOS system including the uploading and sharing of income/sales data and expenditure reports.
- To work within budgets and to meet income and break-even targets.
- To manage stock ordering, stock control and oversee periodic stock take.
- To use the Payescape system to manage payroll and HR.
- To deal with telephone/ email queries promptly and concisely, answering customer queries in a courteous and timely fashion.
- To comply with Health and Safety at Work, Food Handling and Hygiene Regulations, and all other premises management requirements.
- To contribute to reporting and monitoring on grant and contract KPIs.
- To communicate effectively and securely, using organisational systems.
- To ensure compliance with GDPR, Employment Law, Rathbone’s Policies & Procedures and to maintain confidentiality.
- Diligent approach to the cleanliness, aesthetics and ambiance of the premises.
- Working closely with the Project Development Team, to deliver the Business Development Plan, in order to secure the long-term sustainability of the project.
- Ability to meet the agreed targets and KPI’s, as set out in the Business Development Plan.
- Oversee the project’s external communications, including social media and website.
- Maintain effective advertising, marketing and promotion.
- Explore and develop relationships with local schools, offices, resident and tenant representative organisations, offering promotions with a view to build a strong local customer base.
- Co-ordinate cafe and the community space events.
- As part of the overall Rathbone’s management team, deliver a focused and measurable contribution to the organisations overall strategic plan.
- To carry out any other reasonable duties as requested by the Chief Executive and other Senior Management colleagues.
PERSON SPECIFICATION: Café Project Manager
|Essential / Desirable
|Proven management and organisational skills – with thoroughness and attention to detail.
|Proven leadership and ability to work on own initiative without supervision.
|Proven cooking skills and knowledge of food
|Food Hygiene or Food Handling Certificate is required (Training will be provided)
|Experience of using EPOS systems.
|Computer literate with word processing, database, spreadsheet and Internet research
|A working knowledge of budgets and financial control.
|A working knowledge of Health and Safety requirements.
|Event Planning / Promotional experience
|Project Management skills
|Customer Service experience
|Networking skills and contacts within the industry
|Proven interpersonal skills – able to develop good work relationships, enjoy meeting and working with people at all levels and from diverse backgrounds
|High personal integrity and motivation
|Ability to remain calm when working under pressure, a problem solving attitude
|Willingness to develop and learn new skills as required by the role
|Must be able to work flexible hours, i.e. outside normal working hours if required.
|Satisfactory Enhanced DBS check and other pre-employment checks.
This job description is a general outline of the job duties and responsibilities and may be amended. The post holder may be required to undertake other duties as reasonably be required from time to time.